how much sugar to use when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carling05

Reaction score
hi i have started a home brew and i am just about to bottle it and i am using 2 litre bottles but not sure how much sugar 2 use , according to instructions it says half a spoonfull per bottle but it doesnt say what size the bottles are can anyone help?

The kits I've used all come with 3/4 cup of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I never individually put the sugar in the bottles, preffering to batch prime the whole 5 gallons before putting up into bottles. Mix with 1 cup boiling water, then pour into your beer. Stir good without splashing, and again every 6-8 bottles. In my brew book, the author claims dextrose (corn sugar) is the easiest sugar to use.

Majikcook is definitely right -- trying to measure out exact teaspoons full per bottle is the best way to ask for both exploding bottles and undercarbonated beer. It is just to hard to get the exact ammount neccessary in each bottle. Mix your priming sugar (probably 2/3 to 3/4 cup, boiled in water) in with your beer in a bottling bucket, then sypon out of that bucket into your bottles. Much more consistent carbonation will result.

Back