How much sugar to use for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell0347

Reaction score
I have an all extract wheat beer in the primary right now and I will be bottling next weekend (hopefully). The shop owner that set me up with the kit gave me a bag of dextrose, 4oz. I believe, to prime. I know that a wheat should be a little more carbonated than a standard pale ale or something. I entered my info. into the calculator at tastybrew.com and it is calling for 8oz. of dextrose to reach a carb. of around 3.9volumes. Does this sound right or am I going to blow up bottles with that much sugar. I don't want this stuff to come out overly sweet either.

All the 5 gal kits I've seen that come with priming sugar come with 5 oz of primary sugar. I tried 5 oz of priming sugar once for a 6 gallon batch of Wheat and I was horribly disappointed. Since then I've learned that for 6 gal batches I prefer 7/8 of a cup of priming sugar.

Eight ounces does not sound right. I've never used more than 5 ounces for any beer. One time I used 6 ounces for a cider and the indention on the caps popped outward. I would be really nervous about using eight.

Back