How much sugar is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aropfor1

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing. I just brewed an American Ale. The recipe called for 1/2-3/4 cup priming sugar in 5 gal. I used 3/4 cup. I waited 2 weeks and tried one. Very little carbonation!! What happened?

If anything too much sugar would over carbonate the beer. Bottle carbing can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks, just wait it out.

3/4 a cup should do it, how did you add it? Also, what temperature are you storing your bottles at; you didn't toss them directly in the fridge did you? (Kind of a dumb question on my part but you didn't specify)

Bottles are stored at 73 degrees. I put the sugar in a pint of boiling water to dissolve then added it.

After you have aged the bottles for about 2-3 weeks let them spend a whole week (got to be patient) in the fridge.

In my experience, the Co2 produced by the yeast needs time to dissolve into the liquid and when the beer is cold this happens more easily.

Back