how much starsan in bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darth5aint

Reaction score
Bought a 32 oz spray bottle. Was going to fill witg starsan solution and realized i only need 1/20 of an oz per instructions. Is it ok to go stronger. How do you measure it when filling a spray bottle

I make 5 gallons @ a time. I use a water jug and the water out of my bil dehumidifier (distilled). I have had the same 5 gallons for over a year.

This thread should help.

I heard somewhere that the acids in StarSan will start to break down after about 3 weeks in solution. Doesn't really make sense but I usually just refill my spray bottle everytime I brew and take it from the 5 gallons I make for my fermenter. I would definitely recommend following the dilution instruction (1 oz/5 gal)

I weigh it out with the same scale I use for my hops that weighs in 0.01 grams (lab grade scale, thanks to my job), and if you overshoot that is ok too.

STAR SAN WATER
1 OZ OR 2 TBSPNS in 5 GALLONS
1/2 OZ OR 1 TBSPN in 2.5 GALLONS
0.166 oz OR 1 tsp in 3 qrts +1 1/3 cup
0.833 OZ OR 1/2 tsp in 6 2/3 cups
0.041 oz OR 1/4 tsp in 3 1/3 cup

My question is why do you feel compelled to go stronger?

StarSan works really well. At recommended dilutions it will sanitize every surface it contacts (that isn't already dirty).

Although I can't imagine that making it a bit stronger will hurt anything, it is going to be just as effective at recommended dilutions. Unless you are stripping zinc off of a copper heating element, but I am assuming thats not what you have in mind.

I add the 0.5ml because of the limitations of my measuring device. I figure that given the 1.5ml/32 oz dosage, rounding up to 2ml is a better bet than rounding down to 1ml.

Perhaps I should get another syringe.

Thanks everyone. Its hard to measure that small amount i wanted to get a spray bottle so i could sanitize my thief to see if it was ready to move to my secondary in a few days

Thanks everyone. Its hard to measure that small amount i wanted to get a spray bottle so i could sanitize my thief to see if it was ready to move to my secondary in a few days

It really isn't that hard to measure. I do it whenever I need a spray bottle full. You can get a syringe or eye dropper or pipette. Ask around. I squeeze the original bottle to fill up the 1oz section and suck out the amount I need. The only reason I remove the needle on a syringe is because it is a thick liquid.

I have a 5 gl bucket filled w star sans and just submerge my spray bottle to fill it up.

Back