How Much Simcoe to Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
I've got a 6.4% ABV IPA at 58 IBU's. Dry hopping with Simcoe only. I have 3 ounces of pellets ready to go, but I feel this might possibly be an overkill with Simcoe alone.

Should I dial it back an ounce or so?

Seems a fair amount, and I've do it before.
3 oz should plenty though, here in nz our packets normally come in 3.5oz (100g) packs, so I normally do that.

I've read that Simcoe puts out a pretty strong aroma for the volume compared to other hop varieties. I decided to play it somewhat safe and dropped in 2 ounces shortly last night. I forgot to mention that I had added an ounce of Simcoe at 1 minute left in the boil as well.

Simcoe's one of my faves, but I find it pairs nicely with Mosaic (fruity) Columbus (dank/piny) and/or Centennial (flower/citrus). I did an all-Simcoe DH and it was in your face "Christmas Tree." I liked it, but it wasn't a crowd-pleaser. I'd toss in an ounce of any of the above if you have them on hand to add some layers to your aroma.

Simcoe's one of my faves, but I find it pairs nicely with Mosaic (fruity) Columbus (dank/piny) and/or Centennial (flower/citrus). I did an all-Simcoe DH and it was in your face "Christmas Tree." I liked it, but it wasn't a crowd-pleaser. I'd toss in an ounce of any of the above if you have them on hand to add some layers to your aroma.

Thank you. I wish I did have it on hand, but I don't. And unfortunately, the nearest LHBS to me is nearly an hour away. I'll also be bottling this Saturday, so all Simcoe it will have to be.

I'm thinking next time I will either mix Simcoe/Mosiac as you suggest, or Simcoe/Amarillo. I was drinking some Founder's All Day IPAs last night and read they use Simcoe/Amarillo in it and it is FANTASTIC!

Back