How much should I worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd3

Reaction score
Not much I assume... as there isn't much I can do about it at this point....
But I brewed an Oktoberfest "ale" on friday. Pitched and all was well. 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Knew I should have done a blow off tube, but was lazy. sometime after leaving saturday morning at 5 am and getting back to town today at 4pm, I had a blow off, losing the airlock and the carboy was open to the world. There were fruit flies circling, but none appeared to be IN the carboy.

I cleaned the airlock, put it back in.

I know, just let it ride.... but AGH!

if it's still fermenting actively, i wouldn't worry much about it, there is a good blanket of CO2 on top.

You should worry: none. Fruit flies often impart a pleasant citrus/melon flavor on the final product, hence their name.

So in all seriousness, don't worry! A lot of folks have had bugs take a nose-dive into their brew. It's a scientific fact that no known pathogens can live in an environment where ethyl alcohol is present. Hence why early historic brewers made beer as a safe alternative to water. :)

They're also known as vinegar flies. If they got in, you may have trouble. If none got in, you're good to go!

even if the fruit flies introduced enough acetobacter to make vinegar from your brew ( unlikely ), that may not be a problem, malt vinegar rocks!

Latest posts

Back