How much PSI do you have in a full CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmusedBystander

Reaction score
I filled my tank two weeks ago but I didn't read the meter. I've barely used it since and right now at room temperature I have 900 psi. I'm sure that's close, but I'm curious how much you guys get.

Totally depends on the temperature of the tank. The high pressure gauge doesn't really do anything until you start running close to empty. By the time it starts dropping, I know that I only have about 2-3 batches worth before I need to refill (that's with a 10# tank, stored at Florida room temp, i.e. about 78-82 degrees during summer).

Yeah, the PSI reading only gives you any kind of useful information once you no longer have any liquid CO2 left. As long as there's liquid in the tank, the pressure will only change with changes in temperature. Once there's no more liquid (all the remaining CO2 is gas), then you'll see changes - quickly! - in the pressure reading. Once there's no more liquid, you're basically on borrowed time.

yeah, the psi reading only gives you any kind of useful information once you no longer have any liquid co2 left. As long as there's liquid in the tank, the pressure will only change with changes in temperature. Once there's no more liquid (all the remaining co2 is gas), then you'll see changes - quickly! - in the pressure reading. Once there's no more liquid, you're basically on borrowed time.

+1

Totally depends on the temperature of the tank. The high pressure gauge doesn't really do anything until you start running close to empty. By the time it starts dropping, I know that I only have about 2-3 batches worth before I need to refill (that's with a 10# tank, stored at Florida room temp, i.e. about 78-82 degrees during summer).

really? Only 2-3 batches on a 10lb tank? That seems low to me

This last time I managed to notice my needle dropping and got 3-4 days of serving before taking down for a refill. Usually I don't notice until my beer starts pouring slow.

There seems to be a common misunderstanding, so I made this:

CO2.jpg

Yeah, not so sure about this, I overfilled a sodastream bottle with dry ice and it had so much pressure the machine would not depress the pin on the tank....

Yeah, not so sure about this, I overfilled a sodastream bottle with dry ice and it had so much pressure the machine would not depress the pin on the tank....
This is totally true for a CO2 tank filled to normal max fill, which is liquid up to 80% of the volume of the tank to allow the liquid to expand with temp changes. In this case, from this fill level to the point there is no liquid, the pressure varies only by temperature of the tank.

Overfilling the tank, or adding other gases to the mix like nitrogen and oxygen as filling a bottle with dry ice will do, and all bets are off. You can end up with very high pressure or exploded bottle.

Back