How much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
My question involves how much priming sugar to use now that I am ready to bottle. I have seen instructions that call for 3/4 cup sugar for 5 gallon batches. However, my batch comes in under 5 gallons, more like 4.25 - 4.5. How much priming sugar should I use based on the size of this batch? I just want to be sure that I don't overcarbonate and have exploding bottles going off. Thanks.

Putting 3/4 cup cornsugar into 4.25 gallons of beer won't cause bombs, it'll just foam up like crazy when you open the bottle. I'd also cut the corn sugar to 2/3rd cup. Or start making 5.25 gallon batches! :D

Gang, my mistake. I meant to say that the instructions said 2/3 cup (not 3/4) for a 5 gallon batch. So, I presumed I should probably use less than 2/3 for a less then 5 gallon batch. Thanks.

Is that a brown ale recipe? I've never seen instructions call for that much sugar unless it's supposed to be not as carbonated as normal. You can still use 2/3rd cup sugar and it'll carb fine, or just use between 1/2 to 2/3rds cup.

Even though I rarely bottle these days, when I do, I like to use TastyBrew's Priming Calculator. It allows you to calculate based on volumes of CO2 (and gives you a drop down of styles so you can stay within a style if that matters to you) based on how many gallons you have. Then it gives you the results in weight, not volume.

When it comes to priming sugar I DO NOT recommend that anyone use the cup measurement.

I prefer to use weight because powder in cups can compress which will end up being more than you really wanted to use.

The general rule/recommendation is 4 oz for 5 gals...so... 4 oz / 5 gal = .8 oz...so I recommend using .8 oz of CS per gal of beer.

This is much simpler (if you have a good scale, that is) because you can alter it for 4.5 gals or 5.5, etc. and add the appropriate amount. ;)

It depends on what you are bottling. The hefe I just bottled used 6oz for 5gal and the ESB used .75oz for 5gal, so there is no perfect amount for every beer.
I also use the Tastybrew calculator

Even though I rarely bottle these days, when I do, I like to use TastyBrew's Priming Calculator. It allows you to calculate based on volumes of CO2 (and gives you a drop down of styles so you can stay within a style if that matters to you) based on how many gallons you have. Then it gives you the results in weight, not volume.
This is kind of off topic but when using that calculator they have for keg carbing, how long is that based off of? Like it tells me what psi to set it to according to my temp, but how long am I to keep it on the gas?

Sweet website - thanks - my recipes ONLY tell me to carb at approx 1.5 to 2.0 volumes - never talks about how MUCH sugar.

This is kind of off topic but when using that calculator they have for keg carbing, how long is that based off of? Like it tells me what psi to set it to according to my temp, but how long am I to keep it on the gas?

My beers are carbed to my liking in approximately one week. You can speed up the process if you have to by cranking the pressure and shaking the keg. I don't typically participate in that though.

Rule of thumb for Ales.

Ales tend to benefit from lower carbonation levels while lagers are best carbonated at slightly higher levels. Adjust carbonation to suit your own personal taste.

Back