How much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

will4009

Reaction score
Hello

this might sound like a stupid question but i am about commence the bottling of my beer ( a Wilkinsons Hoppy Copper Bitter) and it recommends half a teaspoon of sugar per pint. Now i will be using 2 liter bottles so that would equate to 2 teaspoons per bottle.

when they refer to a 'teaspoon' is that a level or heaped teaspoon? I have read that for most accurate results, weighing out the sugar is the best method but unfortunately i don't have any accurate scales to hand.

so 2 heaped teaspoons or 2 level teaspoons per bottle?

Thanks

OP
W

will4009

Reaction score
unfortunately i do not have a bottling bucket, i usually bottle from the primary using coopers carbonation drops. I am fresh out of drops to use and for the life of me i cant seem to find out a teaspoon measuring set to measure out the correct amount of sugar.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
unfortunately i do not have a bottling bucket, i usually bottle from the primary using coopers carbonation drops. I am fresh out of drops to use and for the life of me i cant seem to find out a teaspoon measuring set to measure out the correct amount of sugar.
In cooking it is usually considered correct practice to fill the measuring container to overfilled first, then with the straight back of a knife scrape off the excess. That will yield a level teaspoon, cup or whatever. And in the case of following a recipe directions I would think of this as the default option. Only use heaping teaspoons if specifically instructed to do so.

And btw, I think that a good set of stainless measuring spoons should be part of any basic brewing kitchen. And they can be had at a very reasonable price from almost any supermarket.

Cheers! And welcome to the obsession (errr.... hobby) :mug:

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I got that beat. Go to the cheapy store,like Dollar Tree. I got measuring cups,measuring spoons,funnels & spray bottles for a dollar each set. So $4 & tax you get all the odd stuff you need in the brewery. $20 more for the scale & you're set for measuring.

Calder

Reaction score
2 litres = 3.5 pints Imperial pints (20 ozs). You will need slightly less than 2 level teaspoons of sugar.

Latest posts