How much priming sugar to add for apple cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellowman27

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to bottling my cider and I wanted to know what would be the best amount of priming sugar to add, and what would be the best way to add it? I've ready 1/2tsp. Per 12oz is good. Would it be best to add the sugar to the whole batch or to individual bottles? And do I need to add yeast or will there be enough residual to get bye? Thanks.

Prime the whole batch and mix thoroughly, this should carbonate the bottles more evenly. An increase of 0.003-0.004 SG gives a pretty standard carbonation.

The yeast is more tricky. Quickly turned around, and unfiltered, batches usually don't need added yeast as there should be enough in suspension even if the cider is clear. My last batch sat on the lees about 4 months and didn't carbonate much at all. In the future I will be adding more yeast at the same time I prime for all future batches.

what was your OG and FG reading? If you didn't ferment out your batch, you shouldn't have any issues with yeast. Eg If FG was around 1.01, then you'll be fine, no extra yeast needed

Back