How much priming sugar should I leave out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the carbonation level you want. 1oz/gal is a good rule of thumb and always will get you a good level of carbonation. I would suggest a program like Beersmith. It will calculate out, based on batch size and desired carbonation level, how much sugar to use. I love the thing and highly recommend it.

Not to Hijack this thread, but when you buy a kit from say AHS and they give you a bag of priming sugar.... what kind of sugar is it? It doesn't look like table sugar...

Thanks!
-R

Depends on the carbonation level you want. 1oz/gal is a good rule of thumb and always will get you a good level of carbonation. I would suggest a program like Beersmith. It will calculate out, based on batch size and desired carbonation level, how much sugar to use. I love the thing and highly recommend it.

Hmm, calculator says 2.4 oz. Now how much is that in volume measurement?

I would if I had one.
I need to get a Vinturi Wine Aerator for a Christmas gift at BB&B. Maybe I'll pick one up while I'm there.

I got my scale from BB&B and I also just recently bought one of those Vinturis as well. I got the cheap-o biggest loser scale and I think it was $14.99.

I got my scale from BB&B and I also just recently bought one of those Vinturis as well. I got the cheap-o biggest loser scale and I think it was $14.99.

That's the one I got. Maybe you got it on sale. Mine was $19.99
I seriously dig their kitchen stuff, but they didn't have the type of spoon I wanted. I wanted a stainless or plastic spoon without a two piece handle. A regular old stamped stainless steel spoon would have been great.

Okay so the bag they gave me is 5.4oz there is no way that is just corn sugar since the calculator comes up with 2.4oz. The calculator says 5.6oz for DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander). The bag just says priming sugar and heading agent.

I think I'm just going to do the whole bag.

Back