How much priming sugar needed for this ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imsperic

Reaction score
I'm about ready to bottle my Fat Tire clone (Austin Homebrew Supply). In the recipe kit, there is a large packet of priming sugar, but no indication as to how much to use. I've been told by friends that one mistake beginners make is using too much priming sugar when bottling. What would be the correct amount of sugar to use for this ale? I am brewing 5 gallons.

Thanks.

Ah, according to this: Beer Carbonation - Get the Right Carbonation in Your Beer the range is 2.3 to 2.8 for an American Amber Ale. Can I split the difference and call it 2.5?

I agree, the Fat Tire is a lower carb beer, many kits include a 5oz pack of priming sugar. I suspect that this is because all of their packages of priming sugar are 5oz and so that's what all the kits get. I used 4.5oz by weight of priming sugar when I bottled my fat tire and it worked out well. :mug:

if you fermented warmer or colder there is a difference but IMO it is minimal and not really significant enough at this level to figure out.

I stand corrected on the kit packet being right.. I have never brewed a kit and made an assumption.

Back