How much priming sugar for a Scottish 80?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyTrailBrewing

Reaction score
I've got a Scottish ale in the fermenter. I am planning to bottle when finished. I know that Scottish ales are typically lower carbed beers. I am hoping someone with some experience with this style can tell me how much priming sugar I should use for a 5 gallon batch. Obviously its not the typical 1 oz. per gallon. I've tried some of the online calcualtors, but they seem to give me results for an unusually low amount.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I like my ales pretty well carbed, and I carb my Scottish ales at nearly the same carb level as my pale ales. That's about 4 ounces of corn sugar (by weight) per 5 gallons of beer.

I just never like flat beer unless I'm in a pub drinking real cask ale.

I tried a couple of the calculators. According to the charts I've viewed, Scottish ales should have .75 to 1.3 volumes of CO2. When I plug the numbers in to achieve 1.3 volumes, I get .97 oz. of priming sugar for 5 gallons. Seems really low to me.

Ugh, i didnt see that one, i dont always use those calcs either, i used 3.6 oz corn sugar for 5 gallons worth for my scottish 80, that seemed pretty mild, but i was content with it. I used those calcs for my dunkleweizen and honestly i was kinda afraid they would blow up at first. I know my limits though and that was definatly it.

i JUST made a scottish 80/- carbed it like i would any other. 3/4cup dissolved in 2 cups water. worked great.

Try Priming Sugar Calculator - Northern Brewer
British draught ales usually have very low levels of carbonation i.e 0.75 - 1.3 volumes CO2
Bottled versions have considerably more, typically 2 - 2.5 volumes

-a.

That is a helpful calculator. It seems to be basing the levels on bottling. The other calculators appear to be basing it on draught levels. When I plug the numbers into the Northern Brewer calculator, I get 2.88 oz. (this is based on a fermentation temp. of 63 degrees). That makes a lot more sense to me.

I would skip the 63 temp differnece to an call your bottleing temp or highest it has reached which for me is about67ish when i bottle. I used that temp difference on a lager i did and it was somewhat undercarbed,it takes me about 2 hrs to bottle im shure its up to room temp by then anyway.Plus i just set my caps on until i have my last bottle filled then cap them up.

Back