how much priming sugar do I need? pls help out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan765

Reaction score
First of all I am new to this site and to homebrewing. I am trying to brew a clone recipe called Medalla light. I ordered a 5 gallon recipe kit and thought I followed all instructions. When I moved my wort to the secondary fermentation bucket I was left with 3 gallons.

So with that being said, how much priming sugar do I need for my three gallons? I'm just trying to get a moderate level of carbonation.

This is a really good calculator to use.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/resources/priming-sugar-calculator/

Did you lose a lot of beer because the yeast/trub layer had not compacted yet. If so, more time in the primary will increase the volume to your bottling bucket. Three weeks in the primary will result in a very clear beer.

Secondary is quite often unnecessary, even though it is in the instructions.

For 3 gallons of beer, at 2.2 vol c02, bottled at 70 degrees, you'd need 2.3 oz corn sugar or 2.1 oz of table sugar.

I dissolve the sugar in 16 oz of boiling water and add that to your bottling bucket then rack the beer on top of the sugar water.

losing 2 gallons to trub is a lot to lose. How long did you let the beer sit in primary for? I, like a lot of others, never secondary. I've even aged beer on oak chips for months and months at a time in the primary. I"ve never had any issues. Maybe try letting the beer sit for a longer period of time on your next batch. You'll get more beer, it'll be a little clearer, and you give the yeast time to clean up byproducts of fermentation thus giving you a better tasting brew.

Welcome to the hobby!! :mug:

I do my fermentations for 4 weeks and get a tight little yeast cake at the bottom of the bucket. I place the auto siphon at one spot and after the initial puff of yeast it will siphon clear beer close to the bottom. I gentle tilt when the trub begins to show through the beer and I can get darn near all the beer into my bottling bucket. I have read of some who put a hop sock on the end of the autosiphon but I have never found that necessary.

Back