How much of the wort to transfer into fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSleek

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive recently begun making some batches with a friend of mine (5th today)

Everytime the wort is chilled and we are about to transfer it into the fermenter he insists we should only syphone the wort that is clear and not the one that shows any kind of bits and pieces floating around that were just disturbed.

We had a batch taste very hoppy before and he is sure it is because we had trub inside the fermenter.

So the question is: How much of the wort from the pot be transfered into the fermenter and how?

Thanks in advance!

Every last drop.

All those bits and pieces settle out eventually in most cases.

The hoppiness that you tasted has a cause but it's not because you transferred too much "stuff"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah we just went trough a thread about this. The general consensus was to transfer everything unless you have some fancy whirlpool capability. A few people had tried different methods to keep the trub out (myself included) but in the end that 6" of trub will only be like 1/2" at most. More into the fermenter means more beer, doesn't seem that important now but the day you go for that last pint and it's not there you'll understand :)

i use a $3 pasta strainer I got from a dollar store to pour the wort through. I get a baseball/softball size glob of hop gunk. At the very least, it helps keep my yeast cleaner for repitching. But definitely everything else goes in.

yup, as much as you can get. I whirlpool and still get half the trub cuz i don't want to leave any wort behind so my pickup tube is pretty low. As stated, it will settle out in the fermenter.
Good luck.

I do hop additions using a 1 gallon painter strainer bag during the boil. That takes care of most of the hop debris. Everything else gets dumped into the fermenter. I pour through a fine mesh pasta strainer but it never picks up any of the break material. I keep using the strainer now becuase I think it helps aerate the wort a little.

Back