how much of a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKEbrew

Reaction score
If I were harvesting a decent amount of yeast from a single bottle conditioned bottle, how much dme and water should I use? I'll be using lite dme.

This is my first time / practice run & I don't know if the little bit from one bottle will be enough, but I plan to step it up and see what I end up with.

How much is a decent amount of yeast? If your only pulling the dregs from one bottle, I would start with 200 ml of wort and add 20 grams of DME.

Yeah, just one bottle. There's a cake covering the bottom of the bottle so I figured it was a decent amount, lol.

Thanks for the advice. I'll reply back here how well it works out.

Just to follow up, I had some pretty good action in the bottle. I stepped it up about an hour ago and pitched the whole thing into 500ml of 1.040 wort.

Kinda flying by the seat of my pants here, but just reading the forums, googling, and trying to learn along the way.

Plan to brew a 2 or 3 gallon batch, biab this week & plan to pitch this if all seems to work out.

A holiday spice beer from a fellow homebrewer. It's wyeast American Ale II, but it was my first opportunity to attempt to harvest it so I gave it a go.

I also just washed some yeast as a practice run & it appears to have worked out well. Hope to pitch that this week or this coming weekend as well.

Back