How much more can my beer ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsons

Reaction score
So I made an IPA with only two-row and no other malts. My original og was 1.065 and after 2 weeks my final gravity is at 1.003. My estimated final was 1.011. But the yeast in beer is still active. The air stopper doesn't bubble much but every few seconds yeast rises to the top and than breaks apart and falls back down. I've seen yeast do this like 3-4 days into fermentation but not two weeks in and not with such a high abv.

I did taste my sample and the beer has no off flavors and taste amazing. Probably one of the best beers I've made.

I guess my question is, should I move it to a secondary or leave it since it seems like its still active?

WOW, that is some serious yeast! What are you using, whit labs super packman variety? Totally your call on using a secondary or not. You can transfer once the bulk of the fermentation is over (usually 3-4 days for ales). There is still yeast in suspension that will continue consume remaining sugar even after transferring to a secondary. With a basic recipe however I usually just let it ride in the primary...........

I'm actauly using a hybrid yeast made from a mix of so5 and some washed yeast I've been using all summer. The washed yeast is very fruity so I combined it with the so5 to make it more crisp and also help with the gravity.

Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Back