How much lactic acid would you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I moved my Raspberry Wheat Champagne Ale into secondary this weekend... in case you're wondering what the hell kind of beer that is, I'll list the specs below.

Anyway - I tossed the 3 gallon batch into secondary with about 4 lbs of frozen raspberries (I want BIG raspberry... the object is to make a beer that my non-beer drinking parents will enjoy) and some pectic enzyme.

Wanting a nice bite to the beer without a big hop flavor, I've opted to use lactic acid at bottling. I know the stuff is super-potent, so I'm wondering what a good amount to add to my 3 gallons would be.

I was thinking in the half teaspoon range, but I'm basing this on virtually nothing. Suggestions are very welcome!

The specs:

3/4 lb Corn Sugar (for alcohol and lightening)
~2 Wheat DME
~1.5 lbs Pilsner DME
1 oz Hallertaurer (60 min)
.5 oz Crystal (15 min)
Wyeast #1010

Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
SG (after primary): 1.010 SG
Estimated ABV (after fruit fermentation): 6.5 - 7.0 %

Oh - and I'm calling it "champagne ale" because I intend to do a heavy carb on this one, resembling a champagne carb.

Adding lactic acid beyong the perception threshold is bad. Can you measure the ph of your beer? How does it taste?

I could grab some testing stips, I guess. I took a taste after my SG reading, but that was pre-raspberries. It tasted like a light wheat beer.

Taste it again, see what you think. Add a drop of acid and see if you like it more.

I'll give it a few days and do that. It's fermenting like crazy now. For the first couple days the 3 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket just had the telltale, nose-burn smell of CO2. Today, it's actually enough to get the airlock bubbling.

Most fruit is pretty acidic on its own, although obviously there's tremendous variation. As Gabe suggested, once the yeast has finished eating the raspberries, you can pull out a small, measured sample and experiment. Just remember that carbed beer is noticeably more acidic than flat beer.

After some reading and a little experimenting I've found that I can simulate a Berliner Weisse by adding roughly 10 ml. of 88% lactic acid from my LHBS to one gallon of any nice wheat beer at bottling. It gives it a nice sour bite without being overwhelming.
So for a 3 gallon batch you would use + or - 30 ml.
Just an example of amounts if it helps.

Once raspberries ferment out, the resulting wine/beer is very tart and acidic. I would definitely taste it before adding any lactic acid. Tart is good, sour is not. Don't forget that carbonation adds a tart 'bite' to the beer as well. I think the beer will already be pretty tart, and wouldn't turn it into a sour beer if you want people to enjoy it.

I took a taste tonight and you were absolutely right, it's plenty tart enough. In fact, I'd almost like to add some sweetness to it. Any thoughts on how to do this?

The only way to sweeten it is to add a non-fermentable (artificial) sweetner or try and kill the yeast and then add sugar. Can probably find more on back sweetening in the cider forum.

I use a wine conditioner to back sweeten a cider I brew. Its basically sorbate and sugar. This works for me because I keg if you plan on bottling it won't carb because of the sorbate.

Yeah. I'm bottling, so I think I'm going with lactose on this one.

No. It's drinkable but really light bodied and a little overly tart. Some sweetness would balance it out.

I tried pulling off 4 ounces and scaling down the lactose accordingly (down to the gram level) but I still don't think I ended up with much in the way of sweetness or body doing, what I think, was the equivalent of 1 lb to 3 gallons (5 grams to 4 fl oz)... it's possible my math is wrong here, but does anyone know of a "standard" amount of lactose to add to a batch?

The beer is pretty thin and tart. I'd like to fill it out and give it a nice sweetness as well.

Funny how this thread started as looking for a way to add tartness and ended up here. Curse of the newbie, I guess :cross:

Back