How much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm making an IP for my dad for Christmas, one of the American IPA kits from AHS. I've been planning on dry hopping it, and had purchased an extra ounce of Cascade for that purpose. Well, lo and behold, I magically have a whole extra pound of cascades now. (I wonder where they came from?) So, how crazy can/should one go with dry hopping with cascades? I made this same kit before, and dry hopped with 1oz of cascade, and it was great. The base flavor and aroma hops were amarillo then, and they are cascade this time around. So, should I stick with a tried and true amount, or would it be worth going a bit extra?

if you're interested in going bigger than try 2oz if you really want to taste the difference. but on the other hand, why mess with something that's already good?

My experience has been that the second ounce of one hop doesn't add much. If you wanted to kick it, 1/2 ounce of Amarillo or Perl would be a better choice.

Back