how much is too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergio_69

Reaction score
When it comes to head space, how much is too much. Just getting started, so I am accumulating parts I need slowly. I just picked up a bucket with lid from Sam's to use for small batches. I am going to start out with 2.5 gallon batches to see how it goes.
My question is this, I was able to pour 4.5 gallon jugs filled to the top into the bucket, so if I leave 1.5 to 2 gallons of head space is that going to ruin my beer? I love dogfish head 60 min so I am going to try YooperBrews clone recipe.

I know there are plenty of threads on this, but no definitive answer.

Size of containers:

1. Primary fermentation - a large container is not a big deal. you will have less of a chance of a blow off.

2. Secondary conditioning - you want a container (carboy) with minimal head space. This will reduce the exposure to O2 and prevent oxidation.

I did a 2.5 gal batch of a Belgian Tripel in my 6.9 gal wine/ale fermenting buckets.

2. Secondary conditioning - you want a container (carboy) with minimal head space. This will reduce the exposure to O2 and prevent oxidation.

true to a point I think, but for the relatively short term I do not think there would be an issue with too much head space - as you rack into the secondary container the beer will degas some CO2, which is heavier than air, so you should have a nice protective layer sitting on top of your beer. The longer it sits there though, the more O2 will diffuse into and mix with the CO2 layer and then eventually into the beer.

Take my advice.. do NOT make a 2.5 gallon batch of yoops DFH recipe. You will kick yourself when it is all gone.. IT IS GOOOOOOOOOD!!!! I just drank my last one night before last and will be brewing it again soon. I have never done a 10 gallon batch but this may be my first!

Back