How much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
I like a nice flavorful complex beer - i picked up an 8.8lb of hefeweizen wheat extract today and I presume it would be a bit much for a 5 gallon batch. Would 6 gal with this amount be ok? I know a weizenbock could do 8lbs - however its summer and I prefer to brew traditional hefe. What should I increase my bittering hops to in a 6 gallon total batch
2.5 gal boil with top off) using tetnang hops - 1.4oz?
Also what kind of gravities can one expect with this ratio 8.8lbs extract to 6 gallons?
Cheers

do I have three heads? all kinds of looks and no replies? am I the only one? Do I smell bad. Is this because I haven't bought a book yet and all this is covered in there? Hmm.

Are you using LME or DME?

8.8 lbs LME in 6 gal gives an OG of 1.051
8.8 lbs DME in 6 gal gives an OG of 1.067

Ive never brewed a hefe, but 1.051 seems about as high as one would want to go with it..

- magno

Yeah, your breath stinks too! Just kidding!!:D

Is that dry or liquid malt? I usually use 6 lbs dry and top off to 5.25 gals. You'll probably lose .25 gals when you rack to the secondary and the bottling bucket.

What's the AA% of the Tets? If they're in the 3.4-4.4% range they'll work fine. Remember, Hefe Weizens only use bittering hops. No aroma/flavoring hops are required for a genuine flavor.

Are you using a real German Hefe/Bavarian Yeast? This will be best for attaining the banana flavor. Ferment about 70-72F.

Expect about 4.8% alcohol.

J.Z. says to ferment at 62f. It brings out the bread notes characteristic of this style.

LME - 6.2 AA Tets - I will make my starter with a splash of the LME and do 7.5-8 lbs in 6 gal. I am using WLP380 - My kitchen allows for 68-72 ferment and my basement 62-66 I'll start at 72 and drop down to 60s than bring back up to 70s to finish off.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back