How much is too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
I want to bottle carb Apfelwein, but I want it more carbonated than a typical beer (5oz). I was thinking of adding 7oz, but I wanted to hear if anyone had experience doing something like this, or if it is generally known how much priming sugar is too much and can lead to bottle bombs.

Yes, I searched about this and couldn't find my answer.

I've used 7oz before with good results. I normally use six. As long as your final gravity has settled, that amount should be fine.

If you're batch priming, it will work in all bottle sizes.

I did my first batch with 5.5 ounces and it was pretty fizzy, almost like champagne.

I generally use 5, but have done 6 before. There is a poster here who did 8oz shooting for champagne-level bubbles.

or if it is generally known how much priming sugar is too much and can lead to bottle bombs.

The amount that is too much is the amount that results in bottle bombs. :ban: The ones I did with 6oz were put in a bomb shelter just in case:

That's part of them in the top row. I bottled them in those little (7? 8?) ounce dr pepper bottles because:
1. AW is powerful stuff
2. it's just enough to fill one of my pilsener cones and looks like champagne

Back