How much is too much for dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I have a lot of hops in my freezer that are getting a bit old (2 years or so). They still smell fine but I'd like to use them up soon.

I've not done much dry hopping in the past for whatever reason. I have a lot of high aa bittering hop pellets - nugget and galena - about 3/4 - 1 pound of each. What is the upper limit for using these for dry hopping? Can I dump 8 oz of nugget into 5 gallons of ipa? Or is that insane?

Are these high AA hops unuseful for dry hopping? I've looked up a few recipes and found people using nugget for late additions, whirlpool additions etc..

Idk about those hops in particular, but 8 ounces isn't far fetched. Ive read on here of people using two and three ounces at a time in multi stepped dry hopping.

It's about oil content for dry hopping, those might work with another hop if they have a high oil content. Although, troegs nugget nectar is dry hopped with nugget and others, it is great.

I have a lot of hops in my freezer that are getting a bit old (2 years or so). They still smell fine but I'd like to use them up soon.

I've not done much dry hopping in the past for whatever reason. I have a lot of high aa bittering hop pellets - nugget and galena - about 3/4 - 1 pound of each. What is the upper limit for using these for dry hopping? Can I dump 8 oz of nugget into 5 gallons of ipa? Or is that insane?

Are these high AA hops unuseful for dry hopping? I've looked up a few recipes and found people using nugget for late additions, whirlpool additions etc..

As far as dry hopping with a high AA hop, I just used three oz of Apollo (17+ AA) along with an oz each of citra, Columbus, and Amarillo in one five gallon batch. It's carbing now, but the samples are a bouquet of tropical citrus goodness.

Too much? HA! No such thing! It's always an option to do two batches: dry-hop the CRAP out of one, and just dry-hop your usual amount in the other.

Back