How much is to much with and wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dansthename

Reaction score
I have had a Belgium Wit in my secondary fermenter for almost a month now and it was in the primary for 3 weeks. It was still bubbling until about 2 weeks ago, but I have not had time to bottle it and I won't have the time for about 2 more weeks. Is this going to be a problem? Can you leave it in there to long?

Thanks

Pivzavod

Reaction score
Wheats tend to lose flavor with age. Your beer is 7 weeks old before going into bottles, I am planning to keep my Wheats for 4 weeks (2 in primary, 2 in bottles) so I think you are keeping it for a really long time. Not to mention that Wheats dont need secondary since they are generally cloudy beers and dont require any clearing.

SeamusMac

Reaction score
Pivzavod hit the nail on the head, wheat beers are for those who cannot wait! :D The first wheat beer I made is almost gone but the bottles remaining have 10 weeks on them because I waited like 6 weeks before bottling, which was too long. It still tastes good but I think that letting wheat beer age for too long leads to the esters and phenolics mellowing out - and that's no good!

I thought that my beer was still fermenting up until 4-5 weeks but after doing more research into it I think that it must have been de-gassing, which I would assume is what yours was doing until 2 weeks ago.

My next batch will get a 10 day primary and 2 weeks in the bottle before I tuck into it.