How much Irish moss to use for 10 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoCardinals09

Reaction score
Just wondering what the recommended amount of Irish moss is for 10 gallons of wort? The bottle just says 1 teaspoon last 15 min of boil. I have the dried pre chopped kind!!

Thanks

I have never seen it printed on the generic baggies I get but, you are apprently supposed to re-hydrate (prior to pitching into the boiler) it too.

I have switched over to SuperMossHB which does suggest re-hydation, and it's a refined, clarified, powder. I've gotten better results and use way less.

my jar says 1tsp per 5gal batch, 15 mins before flameout.

At 25 mins i grab a little wort with my spoon and add it to my dish of moss (I use my wife's pyrex prep-dish). 10 mins later its hydrated and kind of a slushy/gel'd substance, and into the wort it goes.

i get nice clear beers, sometimes too clear (i.e. my wit wasn't cloudy) with no filters, just a good cooldown with a chiller and some secondary clearing where applicable.

I've never heard of rehydrating it before. I just chuck it in the pot at 10-15 minutes.

I spent a few minutes scanning the net and it seems conventional wisdom is to rehydrate. I'm not sure though. It seems to me this may be one of those things that got a little run for no good reason. My wort seems pretty wet:confused: And my beer is definitely as clear as it can get. Is there an advantage to rehydrating in cooler temps or something?

Al Korzonas (in his book Homebrewing Volume I) provides info based upon experiments he performed that rehydrating overnight prior to use results in a clearer beer than not rehydrating. But using it without hydration is still better than not using it at all.

As to amount, he found that 1/4 tsp/5 gallons is sufficientfor an extract beer, as a lot of the break material is removed in the production of extract. 1 tsp/5 gallons is a more appropriate amount for an AG wort.

I add more than I need because the stuff is cheap. I go about a tablespoon (3 tsp) for 10 gallons. Also, I have never heard of the entire rehydrating :p

i havent heard of rehydrating, but i think i'll be adding more moss to my boils now.

my packet says 1/2 teaspoon, so if i start using a full teaspoon, there shouldnt be any issues with using more correct?

maybe this is why my beers arent real clear..lol

Sounds about right. I've found that if you rehydrate in cold water, the seaweed does not clump up, it just rehyrdates. However, if you add to hot water, it produces a clear gel and is frankly a pain in the ass to get out of the cup. NOt sure which is better, as I assume the gel is released when it hits the boiling wort also.

Once you use up your irish moss look at Whirlfloc tablets. Same active ingredient but refined into a tablet. I got a much better cold break when I switched.

I bought a pound of IM on amazon.com... I doubt I'll use it up any time soon.

I use 1 tsp per 5 gallons, although most brewing books use lesser amounts.

I've rehydrated the moss, not sure if it makes any difference. I've been using Whirlfloc as of late, I'm almost positive each tab is good for ten gallons (although I toss a full one in for five). Seems to work a little better.

Back