How much interest in doing Eastern Massachusetts group grain buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadowstream

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Whole sacks of grain only to make it super easy. I would be willing to organize if there is enough interest. We would need 42 sacks (1 pallet.) I will buy 6 myself so that gets us 1/7 of the way there!

Just as the rules state, cost of goods and shipping, no markup on the grain. The Ocean County Group Buy #5 has a price list up right at the top of their Group Buy thread and I imagine those would be pretty close to what we would have to pay (keeping in mind that there is probably something like $5 per bag in shipping costs on top of the cost/sack, and if there is a PayPal fee then that will be added on, too.) If we have enough interest then I will do the leg work and get a price list posted with more exact costs.

Sweet, I am probably looking at getting 3-6 bags depending on exactly what my current stocks are/etc. I will try to gather up some people I know who might be interested.

In. Not really in need of grain at the moment but will participate for at least 2 bags if this happens. Would be very happy to see a group buy again, bulk grain at beer-wine is ridiculously overpriced

I joined Homebrewtalk to get in on the bulk grain buys. I am happy to see one in the E. Mass area again. I am in for 4 sacks.

Fairly new to all grain but I’d be in be in for 2-3 sacks. Just not sure what I’d want.

Slightly Off topic....

Pale malt might be the best choice, as you can, make, Vienna, Munich, roasted, various toasted, black malt, crystal malt, and rauch from that base malt. It's also quite enzyme rich and works well with adjuncts.

If you brew with any frequency two 55lbs bags won't last long, especially if you make your own specialty grains.

See my signature for the link smoking and roasting your own malts.

If on mobile; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

Last edited:
Whole sacks of grain only to make it super easy. I would be willing to organize if there is enough interest. We would need 42 sacks (1 pallet.) I will buy 6 myself so that gets us 1/7 of the way there!
I'd be interested in a 50-55lb. sack of Golden Promise. Any idea on price?

I might be in for a few bags myself if the pricing make it make sense. Out here past where the edge of the world is, past 495, past 290 even, almost to 90 if you can imagine it.

Update: working on this. Taking time. Sorry to have been out of touch.

Tricerahops220:you would be able to order whatever you want, assuming we can get this set up.

khannon: 90 goes West all the way to Seattle...

OK, I think we can get this rolling next week. Will get price list, shipping costs, tax info for next week. As per rules, no profit markup - total transparency. Not sure yet how to handle the $ side of this yet, but we'll figure that out.

Hopefully we can get prices/details squared away before the 28th, since thats the deadline for a group buy through my local homebrew club.

zman - is there already a local grain buy happening? probably no reason to duplicate efforts if so (prices would be the same...)

I'm not sure if this buy is open to the general public (I can ask if people are interested). It is through Strange Brew in Marlborough. Prices are comparable to what the Homebrew Emporium group buy was, which was a bit above wholesale (at least I think) - around $10-15 off 50-55# bags and $20-25 off select things like golden promise/etc.

UPDATE: Based on Zman's post above, buying through Wort Processors, or the buy Zman references, makes the most sense. No point in duplicating efforts. I signed up with WP and placed my order this morning. Thanks Zman.

UPDATE: Based on Zman's post above, buying through Wort Processors, or the buy Zman references, makes the most sense. No point in duplicating efforts. I signed up with WP and placed my order this morning. Thanks Zman.

zman and meadowstream, how does this work? Is it open to the general public? Could you post a link or maybe instructions? It looks like the group buy that meadowstream tried to start is not happening now, correct?

Any way I could get in on either grain buy? In Western ma, but willing to drive to a pickup.. any other info on either grain buy would be awesome.

Thanks,
Kevin

Back