How much hop time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadeNasty

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm working on a hopped cider. I am using near 3 gallons of cider @ 11.2 percent. I have had it aging for a month now. I am currently dry hopping it with 2 oz of Amarillo hops and am on day 9. Also I will at bottling time add about 2 gallons of juice to back sweeten to about 7.5 percent. How many days should I back sweeten?

If you backsweeten with juice you will start refermentation unless you pasteurize or add a yeast killer. After 9 days most if not all of the hop falvours will be in the cider.

My procedure prior to backsweetening is to cold crash for 48hrs then add Potassium Sorbate to knock out any remaining yeast. @Kees is correct about the hops flavor.

If you backsweeten with juice you will start refermentation unless you pasteurize or add a yeast killer. After 9 days most if not all of the hop falvours will be in the cider.
Thankyou. I just noticed my last sentence was supposed to say after how many days should I pull the hops. But you answered my question. Thanks for the tip. I'll bottle tonight. I also do pasteurize. But do you think that'll make the hop flavor go bitter?

Would pasteurizing make the hop flavor go bitter?
I would NOT pasteruize the cider. I tried heating up beer one time and it messed it up bad, had to dump. That's when I learned about cold crashing and Potassium Sorbate.

9 days it'as already a lot. 5 days and then 2-3 days of cold crash is my way to do, I don't think mor will change the impact but too long could give a bad taste.
I also have my doubt about the effect of pasteurization on a dry hop cider.

Back