How much grains of paradise for a wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Hargreaves

Reaction score
My wit recipe uses a tablespoon of crushed black pepper in addition to the usual coriander and orange peel.

This time, though, I want to try using grains of paradise instead. But I'm wondering how much is appropriate? I've seen people talking about anywhere from a half teaspoon up to 5 or even 10 grams.

Anyone who has used GoP successfully care to share how much worked for you?

Thanks!

I used a wee bit more that two grams in a light wheat beer, and it was just about perfect. Crushed it up good in a mortar and pestle (maybe people using more tossed them in whole?). Just enough to give a little flavor, not enough to really identify exactly what you were tasting; a very subtle, complementary flavor. Those things :rockin: in a simple, quaffable wheat beer.

I'm of the opinion of "less is more" with the GoP. I used a 2 gram package from the LHBS and ground them up to a coarse sand-like texture. My summer ale became somewhat of a spicy ale...not what I was going for. If I use it again, I'm using half of that. I would definitely not use it in place of coriander...I couldn't imagine a wit without it. I'd add a small amount of GoP to add a bit more complexity perhaps.

Used 2 grams as well in my last Saison. I did not break up the seeds but decided to throw them in whole. It worked out very well for us. The beer was great with just a hint of spices. I've heard of people using small amounts of this but crushing it very fine and getting TONS of flavor out of it. Not exactly what you're shooting for here I'd assume.

Try replacing your black pepper 1:1. If you used a tablespoon crushed, use a tablespoon crushed. The flavors will be different, but then you get to learn from it.

Me, I wouldn't go more than 2g cracked in a Witbier, along with the obligatory coriander and dried bitter orange peel.

Cheers!

Bob

Back