How Much Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
Well I think I'm gonna start the new year out by trying my first all grain beer. Figured I'd go with Ed Worts Pale. So I'll probably have a few questions for you all before too long. :D

But my first question is how large of a grain bill can I use in a 48 qt cooler? I'm trying to plan my next few beers and for at least one of them I'd like to try a really big beer like a RIS or a barley wine. I just want to make sure I'll be able to manage with whatever recipe I go with.

Thanks.

Drunkagain said:
But my first question is how large of a grain bill can I use in a 48 qt cooler? I'm trying to plan my next few beers and for at least one of them I'd like to try a really big beer like a RIS or a barley wine. I just want to make sure I'll be able to manage with whatever recipe I go with.
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of the 888 RIS with a 60 quart cooler mash tun (17 lbs of grain, incidentally), and it barely came up to the halfway point. You'll be just fine.

You should be good, that is big enough to hold about 12 gallons of liquid. I have a 50 quart and have plenty of space.

I use a 48 qt coleman too. Most of my 5 gallon batches are 11 to 13 pounds of total grain. You could easily double that.

I did a barleywine in my 48 qt. I has 28 lbs of grain and that was the max unless you keep your water to grain ratio well under 1.25 to 1. It sucked because there was no room to stir or sparge.

Back