How much grain can you fit in a 6 gallon bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
Simple question. Looking to get bulk grain and a maltmill and I'm trying to figure out how to store the grain in my apartment. I figure someone here stores grain in ale pale type buckets. About how many pounds fit?

Also, does a bunch of grain around the house smell a lot (SWMBO)? I know when I go buy a batch worth at the LHBS and crush it there, it does... but that's crushed.

Thanks.

Like joety, I use 5 gallon (Homer) buckets. Can't quite get a 55lb sack in two. They're cheap, seal well and keep out pests (mice and bugs.) You won't get any odor from a sealed bucket.

The grain doesn't really have a smell on it's own unless you stick your face in it, especially if it isn't crushed. You don't have anything to worry about on that note.

The 5 gallon buckets don't quite hold 55lbs of grain in two, but you should be fine if you used 2 6.5 gallons buckets.

Why can't you just leave iit in the bag assuming you store it in a relatively cool dry place?[/QUOTE

swmbo

I live in an apartment, not a lot of "storage" space so all of my brewing stuff goes in the coat closet. I figure a bunch of buckets stacked will look better than some ugly bags lying around in there. That's really the only significant reason.

Homer buckets hold 25 pounds each. My bulk grain comes in 55# sacks, so I usually store the other 5 pounds in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. I use that first or doing stove top roasting experiments or whatever.

Homer buckets hold 25 pounds each. My bulk grain comes in 55# sacks, so I usually store the other 5 pounds in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. I use that first or doing stove top roasting experiments or whatever.

True, they only hold 50 pounds in two, but for my 55 pound (25 kg) sacks from across the pond (or CA), I don't open the bag until I'm ready to use it, then I'm normally down to under 50 pounds after the required base malt for whatever I'm brewing.

I've actually switched to these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00186RTWW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 but it's the same issue. They only hold 50, not 55 pounds.

Edit: Actually, it looks like Iris has updated sizing on these containers. If you get the 60+ quart one (still a bargain at $24.99 with free shipping if you spend another penny) you'll have no issues with your 25 kg sacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't open the bag until I'm ready to use it . . .
Wouldn't dare do that here. Especially in the cold weather. The cute little field mice are looking for a warm place with a good food supply. Trap two or three a week, but there seems to be an endless supply.

I caution using the big rubbermaid storage bins for storing the grains, damn little rodents can chew through those in minutes...

See if you LHBS has a bulk grain program and encourage them to start one if they don't.

You pay for a bag of grain and take what you need per visit until it's time to buy another one. Keeps people coming back to the store and away from ordering supplies on line. If people come in for their base malt, chances are they will buy their hops and yeast there as well.

That's the sell anyway and could save some of your apartment space.

I know this is old but I'm glad I found this! I was about to spend $ on some rubbermaid containers that cost much more per gallon.

Any reason these can't be used for DME?

Like joety, I use 5 gallon (Homer) buckets. Can't quite get a 55lb sack in two. They're cheap, seal well and keep out pests (mice and bugs.) You won't get any odor from a sealed bucket.

Thats good thinking putting the label on the side. For some reason I put my labels on top and I end up pulling down buckets looking for something specific.

Back