How much extract is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my first big brew this weekend, OG~1.076. It's an IPA, and the recipe I have created, based on an all grain clone recipe, calls for 11.5lb of LME (10lb of light LME and 1.5lb Munich LME). And 1lb of steeping grains (0.75lb of carapils and 0.25lb of carastan). Going for a 5.5 gallon batch in the fermenter, 2.5 gallon boil. Most LME will be late addition.

Is this too much extract for one 5.5 gallon batch? The most I've used is 8lb of LME. Should I substitute some of the LME for sugar? A little dryness to the beer is not a problem. I've never used regular sugar in a recipe so I don't know what to expect.

I'm attempting a Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA clone. I know it won't be exact but close enough is good for me.

I would do the following: leave out the Carapils because it will already been in the extract, and then sub in 1/2lb - 1lb of sugar for an equal amount of extract.

My Russian Stout which is sitting there waiting.. for March to come..
I used 13.2lbs of LME and 1lb of DME.. Tasted fine before we threw in the yeast.

With a 2.5 gallon boil, definitely go as much late addition. I agree with the statement of substituting sugar for some of the extract. Maybe even up to 2 lbs. It won't bee too dry. 2 lbs would put it around 84% fermentable so even with high attenuation, you'd finish around 1.013. Best of luck

I'm about to do a Double IPA using 11lbs of LME and just over a pound of specialty grains (10oz each of carapils and crystal 20L).

Will regular table/cane sugar suffice?

I think I may use 1lb of sugar in place of 1 pound of light LME. Should raise the OG slightly to 1.077.

I will be using WLP002 English Ale yeast which does not attenuate as well, 66.5% on average according to Brewer's Friend.

Back