how much dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I had dry hopped with 1.5 ounce combo of Centennial and Columbus....and there is almost no hoppiness. I am thinking of adding at least an ounce more. This beer is a take on the 21st amendment Back In Black IPA. Any thoughts?

I use between 5 and 10 oz on everything IPA. They are hoppy, but it ca be done better. Not as a homebrewer, at least fo rme.

Ok. I had dry hopped with 1.5 ounce combo of Centennial and Columbus....and there is almost no hoppiness. I am thinking of adding at least an ounce more. This beer is a take on the 21st amendment Back In Black IPA. Any thoughts?

At least an oz if not 2. Ive posted this before on this forum and I use it as a general rule... I asked the R&D brewmaster at Karl Strauss what their dry hopping schedule is like. He told me that just on their APA's they start with 1lb per barrel which basically works out to 1/2oz per gal. So I try to stick with a MINIMUM of 2.5oz for APA's and moving up from there for IPA's. Its hard to "overhop" and IPA. Especially a Black IPA since they have more depth (IMO) with the roast characters.

Alright. Thanks for the input and help. I am going to add some more and keep all this info in mind for the future. You have been helpful.

Yesterday I added 2.5 combo of Centennial and Columbus to each keg...so that is a total of 4 ounces of dry hopping. We'll see what happens. I tasted it before I threw the additional hops in and compared it to the Back in Black. I actually think if I could get the hops down mine might be better. At least in mine and my husband's opinion.

How long does it usually take until there is some noticeable hop flavor when you dry hop in the keg when the beer is cold?

Back