How much dry hopping is too much dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
So I am brewing a rye pale ale, and have 1.25 oz. simcoe at my disposal for dry hopping. how much is too much. at first I was going to do .25, but now i'm thinking, "hell, why not use it all." any suggestions to my recipe?:
GRAIN:
9.5 lbs. Pale Malt
1 lb. Crystal 20
1.5 lb. Malted Rye
.5 lb. Biscuit Malt

Hops:
60 Min-.75 oz. Simcoe pellets (13.2 aa)
30 Min-1 oz. Crystal leaf hops (4.4 aa)
5 Min- 1 oz. Crystal leaf hops (4.4 aa)
Dry hop- .25-1.25 of the simcoe???????

is 1.25 going to be overkill? Will dryhopping .25 of simcoe hops even make a noticable difference?

"How much is too much" is an impossible question to answer definitively.

An Imperial IPA takes a different kind of dry-hopping than that found in a small English brewery's Real Ale bitter. Different styles take different types of dry-hopping regimes.

And then there's personal likes and dislikes. You may like Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA and not like your local brewpub's APA, which is also dry-hopped (IOW, you consider the local guy's APA to be insipid "training wheels" beer).

When I worked for a packaging microbrewery, one of the best-selling beers was the regular American IPA that we decided to dry-hop the snot out of - on a lark - one keg. People raved about it. So we started brewing more of it. When I left that gig, we were brewing 20bbl of it per week and still selling out of it. The point of the story is that I could not and still cannot abide that beer. When I drink it, it feels like the enamel is dissolving from my teeth. But it is considered one of the tamer hops bombs on the market these days, and it had the equivalent of six ounces of seven different dry hops for a five-gallon batch. For me, an ounce of EKG in an ESB is good level of dry-hopping!

Your mileage may vary; that's why it's impossible to definitively answer your question.

Bob

For some people there is no such thing as "too much"

randall06.jpg

If you add so many hops that it sucks up and absorbs all your beer, that is too much.

For some people there is no such thing as "too much"

randall06.jpg

Yeah... rock on, I'm gonna build one of those myself for my winter IIPA. :rockin:

If you add so many hops that it sucks up and absorbs all your beer, that is too much.

Or if it leaves your bank account empty. That makes two reasons. :D

I've been dry hopping for the last dozen or so brews. I have settled on 1 oz per five gallons, dry hopped in the keg and left there until the keg is dry. I have gotten no grassy flavors although a keg last only 2-3 weeks. Real flavor/aroma doesn't even develop until its been in for 7-10 days. Then it seems to get strong for a few day and after that begins to mellow and meld with the beer really well.

Back