how much does it cost... for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am on a quest to brew really good extract beer at the absolute lowest cost! For me a really good brew needs to be a hoppy IPA and not too low on the ol' ABV either.

Individual tastes aside, Cooper and Munton both make can kits that go
in the bucket with a bit of sugar and make 6 gallons, yeast included.

6 gallons makes 64 - 12 oz and cost +-$18.00 in this area, or under
30 cents a bottle.

My idea would be to try some of these, just as presented, and use that
as a starting place find something that comes close, then to boost flavor or ABV, you can spend a bit for more or different yeast, sweet, or some grain to steep, and still be well within the meaning of cheap, even compared to a lot of AG's.

Even the ones you dont like all come out the same next morning!

MAsteveINE

How do you figure?

9lbs extract = 20.70

12 lbs grain = 13.90

Thats roughly 50%

But since the question was "cheap EXTRACT" please ignore .......

:off: Actually it's 67% and that is shown as a percentage of the base grain costs ONLY. All the other costs (hops, specialty grains, water, propane, yeast, bottle caps, priming sugar, shipping, cleaning chemicals, yeast starters, etc...) will remain the same. So really AG is only marginally less expensive then extract. But really we weren't discussing AG vs extract. That subject has been beaten to death in many other threads. The subject here is how extract brewing is way cheaper then buying beer and how to make extract beer less expensive. The great news is that making extract beer IS cheap. In some cases is half the price of buying a commercial equivalent. If you really want to feel the price difference buy some Belgian beers. Westmalle at my local beer shop runs $5.00 for a 12oz bottle. Even if an extract clone batch cost me 50.00 to make 5 gallons, that's less then 1.00 per bottle for a 500% savings. :rockin:

Westmalle at my local beer shop runs $5.00 for a 12oz bottle.

Dammit, it goes for around $9 bucks for a 12 ounce bottle here in PA. :drunk:

Although extract batches are more expensive than AG batches, in this state it's a pretty damn good deal.

Shipping is free for >$60 at Morebeer, I include shipping as part of the cost for Hopsdirect, corn sugar is so cheap I don't even count it (3-5 oz per batch for priming, um 50 cents?) I don't use propane, bottle caps - $2 for 5 billion (I don't worry about it) and yeast starters are for sissys and people who like the word "utilize", or worse "utilization" and drive SUVs instead of Hybrids and like sweet fruity beers instead of macho IPAs and like to insert "carboy" into every conversation.

Over time all of these things add up. Some of them might be cheap, but the more you brew, the more they add up. You asked how to cut costs. I provided examples of what costs are included in a batch I brew so that you could compare your costs to mine. Looks like you've hit rock bottom pricing for extract. If you really want to get even cheaper then AG (which you mentioned in your original post) is the way, the equipment pays for itself in savings.

As for your sissy comments, I don't know how serious you were (I laughed, but then thought maybe you were serious)... I drive a gas guzzling American muscle car, yet I like a great IPA. Guess I'm right in the middle of your sissy meter and I'm probably not worth listening to.

I get my kits from mid west supplies and it figures out to about .60c a beer or $3.6 a 6er (depending on the price of the kit). The last two kits I got were $65 with shipping for both. Some kits can range from $28-60 depending on the ingredients.

I like them a lot and its cheap enough for me to make some darn good beer.

$3.84 per sixer for my 2 hearted clone in the primary right now.

6oz of hops, and almost 7lbs of DME. My yeast I grew up from the dregs of 3 bottles.

Any body ever use Rebelbrewer.com? there super cheap. Im to poor to throw down for bulk so i just buy one recipe at a time, i just got stuff for a 5 gal cream ale partial mash for around $16 + $9 for shipping, and if you live near them you can just pick it up.
dme $3.10
hops $.89-1.89 /oz
grain $.89 lb - 1.89 /lb

Buying your hops in bulk is probably the biggest factor in making your beer cheaper. Even online home brew stores sell hops for $1.50+ per ounce. Local stores sell then like $3.00 an ounce. Go to hops direct and you can get then for $0.60 an ounce!! When you start using 5 ounces per batch, this will make it way cheaper.

I think using LME can actually be cheaper than DME. Northern brewer house-brand LME is $15 for 6 pound
Compare that to $22 for 6 pounds of DME.
Yes they have different fermentation qualities but I think the $7 difference might help out?? IDK for sure.

Reuse your yeast. (I haven't done it yet..)

Shipping is free for >$60 at Morebeer, I include shipping as part of the cost for Hopsdirect, corn sugar is so cheap I don't even count it (3-5 oz per batch for priming, um 50 cents?) I don't use propane, bottle caps - $2 for 5 billion (I don't worry about it) and yeast starters are for sissys and people who like the word "utilize", or worse "utilization" and drive SUVs instead of Hybrids and like sweet fruity beers instead of macho IPAs and like to insert "carboy" into every conversation.

:)

Steve da sleeve

In my experience, morebeer prices are generally higher than the other online companies offering flat rate shipping for 6 or 7 bucks. So morebeer offering "free" shipping is debatable ........ especially if you have to order $60 worth of ingredients/equipment. It's absorbed into the price in my opinion.

:off: Actually it's 67% and that is shown as a percentage of the base grain costs ONLY. All the other costs (hops, specialty grains, water, propane, yeast, bottle caps, priming sugar, shipping, cleaning chemicals, yeast starters, etc...) will remain the same. So really AG is only marginally less expensive then extract. But really we weren't discussing AG vs extract. That subject has been beaten to death in many other threads. The subject here is how extract brewing is way cheaper then buying beer and how to make extract beer less expensive. The great news is that making extract beer IS cheap. In some cases is half the price of buying a commercial equivalent. If you really want to feel the price difference buy some Belgian beers. Westmalle at my local beer shop runs $5.00 for a 12oz bottle. Even if an extract clone batch cost me 50.00 to make 5 gallons, that's less then 1.00 per bottle for a 500% savings. :rockin:

Yes, I realize. I was only pointing out the difference in "base grain" cost.

Also note that I used the word "roughly"....... which i think means "approximately". Thanks for pointing out the "actual" percentage.

As for your sissy comments, I don't know how serious you were (I laughed, but then thought maybe you were serious)... I drive a gas guzzling American muscle car, yet I like a great IPA. Guess I'm right in the middle of your sissy meter and I'm probably not worth listening to.

Yep I am kidding! I hardly every take anything seriously though I don't like those fruity sweet beers at all and I never use the word "utilization" or any word with more than four syllables unless I am trying to get laid.

Actually I am going to try all or partial grain this summer I think. A couple of coolers and some hardware later I'll find out how low I can really go, perhaps!

To another poster - Coopers kits I tried early on in this hobby and I really didn't care for them at all. I still have 3 cans of Heritage lager and one of Traditional draught I'll sell for cheap to anyone in the DC metro area...

Cheers,
Steve

:The great news is that making extract beer IS cheap. In some cases is half the price of buying a commercial equivalent. If you really want to feel the price difference buy some Belgian beers. Westmalle at my local beer shop runs $5.00 for a 12oz bottle. Even if an extract clone batch cost me 50.00 to make 5 gallons, that's less then 1.00 per bottle for a 500% savings. :rockin:

My favorite DFH 60 minute IPA sells for $9 a six pack in DC, I make a slightly different (better I think) version for a little under $4, Sierra Nevada pale ale I do reasonably well also under $4 ($7-8 in the stores here in DC)

Oh and I get to keep the bottles and re-use them... What's not to like?

In my experience, morebeer prices are generally higher than the other online companies offering flat rate shipping for 6 or 7 bucks. So morebeer offering "free" shipping is debatable ........ especially if you have to order $60 worth of ingredients/equipment. It's absorbed into the price in my opinion.

Actually, I've noticed the exact opposite when it comes to morebeer's prices. Their liquid extract is super low priced at 2.30/lb. Way lower then any of the competition. Thar's mainly what I buy from morebeer.

The grain and hops are generally right in line with the other on line shops like AHBS, Northern Brewer, etc...

Yep I am kidding! I hardly every take anything seriously though I don't like those fruity sweet beers at all and I never use the word "utilization" or any word with more than four syllables unless I am trying to get laid.

You've thrown that particular word around more than anyone else on this thread :)

I think their extract is below standard. I've been displeased with all of morebeer. And I used to order from them exclusively, but I have found they are out of products often and the quality of their extract was below others.

I think their extract is below standard. I've been displeased with all of morebeer. And I used to order from them exclusively, but I have found they are out of products often and the quality of their extract was below others.

I'm 98% sure Morebeer sells Briess extract. The same stuff as most of the other on line shops. Also, their turnover is very high so it's always fresh.

I disagree, I'M 98% sure that if it was Briess (name brand) then the site would say BRIESS. It does not.

And your claim that the turnover is very high so it's always fresh? That is stated on their site. I'd tell you that if it meant I'd sell more too. If McDonalds told you their food was healthy would you blindly believe it?

Whether they sell Briess or their own doesn't matter really. I myself did not have the best results with their extract. I found better results elsewhere. Maybe your experience is different.

Whether they sell Briess or their own doesn't matter really. I myself did not have the best results with their extract. I found better results elsewhere. Maybe your experience is different.

Is it possible that you've improved as a brewer since using their extract?

They sell Briess. Its fresh.

And your claim that the turnover is very high so it's always fresh? That is stated on their site. I'd tell you that if it meant I'd sell more too. If McDonalds told you their food was healthy would you blindly believe it?

Taco Bell -> Drive Thru Diet
lol
sorry had to get that one in

I know you all have already mentioned all grain, but I recently picked up my grain mill and did some rough math. Bulk 2 row pale $0.66/lb, various other grain prices, hops in bulk, yeast washing and brewing electric, I'm right at under $0.25 a beer for a decent 1.055 batch. $1.50 a 6er' is almost like only paying for the tax and CRV and getting the beer for free. Rather than figure out how to make extract brewing cheaper, why not just go the route that is clearly the cheapest if that is what you are looking for? All grain can be just about as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

Back