How much does 2000lbs of grain cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
Does anyone know? I have about 10 people to split grain with. how much does a 2,000lb pallet cost? That is the amount that BULK comes in right?

Ok, I meant for 2 row. And where I get it from? The cheapest place, like LHBS do.

It must be below 70cents too. I can get it for 60cents from my LHBS.

our brew club regularly buys just over a ton of grain and 55lbs bags of base malt cost between $28-$32.(full palet of grain is 42 bags and the same price for shipping as half a pallet)

I'm not all that impressed with the ratio of helpful to unhelpful posts in this thread...

...ah, there we go, now we're headed in the right direction.

We just ordered 2305 lbs. from NCM. 42 bags to the pallet. 2-row was $0.42/lbs. Shipping was $4.29/bag. You get the price break at 2000 lbs.

So 2000 lbs. from them would run $840.00+170.00 shipping (variable depending on location)+ $15.00 fuel surcharge.

Quotes are free, call north country malt, they have several locations in the US and should be able to help.

Oh, and I hate all of you who get two row for less than a dollar.... stupid organic LHBS....

Unhelpfully:

If you run into a bear at the north pole, what color is the bear?

If it chases me? Brown and white.

If it catches you?

seals-demotivational-poster-1258411669.jpg

Humm, the malt plant pays me $.06 per pound for raw barley. That is a rather healthy markup. Maybe I should start my own malt plant.

Everyone holds their hand out on the way up. Gotta truck it to the malting plant, staff, overhead, bagging, shipping to the wholesaler, staff, shipping dept, etc. Hey, if you can sell high quality malted barley to end users for less than 40 cents a pound, I'll be your first customer.

When you buy a ton of grain, you want to actually buy 2310# That's 42 bags of 55# each and that's how many fit on a pallet. That way, you get the cheapest freight spread across the maximum bags.

Here's what almost 12,000# looks like with 55# bags costing anyway from $25.16 to $39.46 (Domestic - Imported) delivered to Austin.

BulkGrainBuy-2010.jpg

Ok, I meant for 2 row. And where I get it from? The cheapest place, like LHBS do.

It must be below 70cents too. I can get it for 60cents from my LHBS.

I can get 55lbs at mid country for $26. Thats 47 cents a pound. I'd imagine it would be cheaper for 2000lbs.

Back