How much do 10G round cooler go for in Summer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a MLT from either a 7 or 10 gallon rubbermaid round cooler. Lowes doesn't have anything over 5 gallon now but I may be able to find one closer to summer. On the other hand Walmart has 7 gallon ones online that will ship free to the store for $39. Honestly, I don't see going to 10 gallon batches for many years if ever so the 7 gallon would do about all I would ever ask of it but if the 10's are $40 in the summer then I'll be pi$$ed about losing 3 gallons of capacity for the same price.

Also Ace Hardware has the 10's online that ship free to the store but they're $50.

A 5 gal batch of barleywine will really benefit from a 10 gal cooler. Though for a low gravity 5 gal batch you may want to make a foam "lid" to slide inside on top the mash to help hold heat, I don't have one though and still only loose 1 degree in an hour.

I'll check a HD that is about 45 minutes from me, it on the way when I visit my mom so wouldn't be a special trip or anything.

FWIW, you can usually get a rectangular cooler cheaper than a round one; my Coleman Xtreme (which I swear was designed by a homebrewer) is 9 gallons, cost me $20. The only advantage of the round design really seems to be if you're going to fly sparge.

Back