How much DME to Prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_sanch

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was planning on bottling my Wheat Beer this week and was wondering how much DME (or Dextrose) I'd need to prime...

I've been using this calculator: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I chose the Wheat Beer Bavarian Weizen... 5 Gallons fermenting at 21 Degrees Celsius... It's telling me I need 14.5 oz (411 grams) of DME! (My Homebrew Store only gave me 250 grams saying it should be ok)!

Here are the ingredients I used: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/question-getting-ingredients-right-332796/

I'm ultra-paranoid about either not having enough DME, or using too much and blowing up all my bottles!

Can anyone suggest what my best course of action is?

First, I wouldn't carbonate above 3 volumes in standard bottles. They are too thin and can explode. Second, why not use table sugar? It doesn't add anything and you probably have enough of it on hand.

I typically don't use those calculators and just go by my experience. For me, to prime 5 US gallons of finished beer, I would go with 5 ounces of dextrose OR 1.25 cups of DME. Both would give similar carb levels and good results.

6.6 oz dextrose (not the same as DME!) has been great for my 5 gallon hefes. I usually use that calculator, and it's giving me 8.5 oz now - I wonder if it's messed up somehow.

I typically don't use those calculators and just go by my experience. For me, to prime 5 US gallons of finished beer, I would go with 5 ounces of dextrose OR 1.25 cups of DME. Both would give similar carb levels and good results.

I'm gonna go with this approach... I do warn you however that my cleaning bills will be completely your responsiblity should my walls and ceiling be decorated in wheat beer

I'm gonna go with this approach... I do warn you however that my cleaning bills will be completely your responsiblity should my walls and ceiling be decorated in wheat beer

If you're that worried about it just put the bottles somewhere where they won't do any damage if they do explode. Like inside a storage bin.

If you're that worried about it just put the bottles somewhere where they won't do any damage if they do explode. Like inside a storage bin.

Not a bad idea, I was thinking of lining them around my younger brother's bed though, I'm looking for new and creative ways of waking him up :D

Not a bad idea, I was thinking of lining them around my younger brother's bed though, I'm looking for new and creative ways of waking him up :D

That's funny, but i'd just use some ice cubes.:p
Seriously though, it's like most things in brewing, it's not a big deal you just gotta do it.

Make sure fermentation is done.
Make sure you use the correct amount of priming sugar.
Make sure you leave an inch of airspace in the tops of your bottles.

I was worried about it my first few batches, but it's really a non issue if you just do those three things.

Back