How much dead space do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
I am just curious how much dead space people generally have in the MT? I have a 5g round cooler that I use and get about 1.5 qt using nothing but water and a stainless braid. I assume the actual is a bit less when in use (which is backed up by my AG batches), probably a quart or less, considering that most of the space is taken by the grain?

I would rather collect a bit too much than not enough, so I don't adjust down much with my calculations. For the next batch I think I will assume 1.25 qt. and see how that works out.

Just over a 1/2 cup:

7634577242_344764427a_z.jpg

I could probably get it a tad lower if I cut a slit in the exit tube of my mash tun (the tube that connects the manifold to the bulkhead) like my previous manifold, but I'm happy with this.

Seems like when I tip the cooler it starts to get lots of particles in the runoff. How do you guys that tip the cooler avoid this?

Seems like when I tip the cooler it starts to get lots of particles in the runoff. How do you guys that tip the cooler avoid this?

Tip the cooler when you dough in or start draining, instead of waiting until it's almost drained.

I now do BIAB so pretty much no deadspace.

I DO have dead space to account for in the tubing/pump setup, plus a tiny bit left over in the kettle.

With the stainless steel false bottom in my 10 gal rubbermaid, I'll have to check. Guess it'll be the amount dumped in, until the spigot starts draining :)

Very near to none. Maybe 1/16th of an inch and taking in to account the grain's displacement it's not very much at all.

P1010434.jpg

Gotta love those Coleman coolers for brewing! I really like the curved dip cutout and the relatively low pickup/drain. I recently went cooler shopping at Academy and the design, or something like what's pictured above was a must!

Wound up with this...

IMG_1134.jpg

Thanks, I made it from keg top.
It was easier to me to cut slots than holes- angle grinder, patience and few hours of work and that is the result. It works great.

This past weekend I just did my calibration for Beer Tools Pro and came up with this for my setup:

10 gallon Home Depot MLT - 0.375 gallons deadspace
10 gallon Home Depot Mash Tun w/ 12 inch false bottom - 0.875 gallons deadspace
10.5 gallon PolarWare SS brew kettle - 0.125 gallons deadspace
Total deadspace - 1.375 gallons

Sure, I could pick up the MLT or brew kettle and pour out that amount (more so with the MLT being just hot water instead of the hop material and trub in the kettle), but I'm okay with this. Just need to adjust my water calculations for next time.

Not much. Less than a quart, for sure.

I've taken to propping up the end farthest from the spigot of my rectangular Igloo cooler tun from the start of mash out. A rolled up towel worked last time. I also have my holes on the top and bottom of the manifold and it's rectangular with a + in the middle.

Back