How much corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerbigt

Reaction score
:mug:I made a 20 litre batch of an american light lager and i am going to put it in a keg. With the left overs i am probably just going to put it in 2 litre pop bottles. I am just curious as to how much corn sugar would needed to be added for propper carbonation?

Thanks in advance.

:mug:

Three quarters of a cup (4 ounces by weight) for 5 gallons is the going rate for an ale but I like to use a little more, about a cup.

Tom

My calculations from How To Brew gave 100ml = 0.6g Sugar.

Personally I wouldn't measure by the cup - I have so many different sized cups and mugs that I wouldn't know which one is "standard".

Personally I wouldn't measure by the cup - I have so many different sized cups and mugs that I wouldn't know which one is "standard".

Lol.

The "cup" measure is a U.S. thing and means 8 fluid ounces. That works out to about 5.3 ounces of corn sugar by weight.

Tom

oh wow, thats the first time ive seen the term "cup" taken literally to mean a vessel by which to drink, which was pulled out of the cupboard, in regards to measuring.

Isn't there a site online that can estimate this information for you based on beer type or expected head...?

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation among others. There, you enter the desired volumes of CO2 (the dropdown above it has recommendations, e.g. IPA 1.5-2.3, Weizen 3.6-4.5, etc). Then enter the volume of beer and its temperature, and click on the type of sugar (even if you're using the default corn sugar, click again on it to make it calculate) and it tells you how much to use.

Back