How Much Corn Sugar is Enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I am planning on bottling about 4-5 gallons of an IPA. How much corn sugar would you say is appropriate? I am planning on 3/4 cup corn sugar mixed in with 2 cups of boiling water.

this is very interesting. i was always told to use 3/4 cup of corn sugar, which is 4 oz of corn sugar, for a 4-5 gallon boil. according to this, i need 2.7 oz, which is much less than 3/4 cup.

this is very interesting. i was always told to use 3/4 cup of corn sugar, which is 4 oz of corn sugar, for a 4-5 gallon boil. according to this, i need 2.7 oz, which is much less than 3/4 cup.

Well, remember we're talking about weight, not volume. I use 4 ounces of corn sugar for priming a 5 gallon batch. It's hard to measure by the cup because some sugar "packs" down more than others, so a scale is great.

I think I read that a cup of sugar weighs about 7 ounces, so about 1/2 cup is probably closer to what I use than 3/4 of a cup. (Again, 4 ounces by weight).

Back