How much corn sugar in a quart mason jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballbuster

Reaction score
Tonight is bottle night and I didnt round up enough bottles so I have to use 12 1-quart mason jars, does anyone know how much corn sugar to put in them. Please give me some feedback.

You for sure can not.

Time to learn to put things off for the good of your beer.

This is beer not peaches. Mason jars and their lids are designed to hold a vacuum not pressure, and thusly will NOT work for beer.
The fact that you are trying to prime individual containers tells me that you need to read up on the bottling procedure anyway.

leave that beer alone for a few more days, TIME WILL NOT HURT YOUR BEER! and read up here, and get some more bottles. Then you can bottle and be confident that you'll actually have something drinkable, and thank us for saving you from exploding mason jars.

I do appreciate the safety you have expressed Kahuna. I figured if it works for shine it should work for beer. Can you say dumbas#? Dont know what I would do without you guys. Well besides blow beer stuff up in SWMBOs clean fridge. And boy is she anal about a clean fridge!

I've been collecting bottles for the future, and as a habit I always get the same type. A friend and I drink the same brand of beer, so I'm building up a supply of nice matching bottles. But... I've been making a point of picking up a 22oz bomber of whatever looks good now and then and will be saving those in reserve for just the occasions when I have more beer than bottles. Those are good for collecting the "overflow". :D

Here is the answer from someone that already tried this stunt.

Well, to each their own, but here's my update....I lost 32 oz of beer because just like Leeler5, my lid swelled up and kinked and let off pressure. I've seen enough to know that the little bit of effort this saves is not worth losing the beer.

So as always you guys are right!!!!

As well as using bottles instead of jars, consider adding 3/4 Cup of Corn Sugar (the ratio for most beers) to 5 gallons and mix in beer BEFORE filling bottles. Add sugar to some water and boil for 10 minutes on stove. Then cool and place in bottling bucket. Gently add the beer to make sure it's mixed well (without splashing), then fill bottles.

This will make sure that you have a sanitary sugar solution added to the beer evenly, and without causing oxidation. Mixing well ensures no flat bottles, and no bottle bombs.

That was my next plan of attack after reading up on it as instructed by The Big Kahuna. Really appreciate the feed back Homercidal, that really helps and the explanation helps me understand the purpose. Rounded up another case of bottles this morning so I am almost ready for bottling. The anticipation is flippen killing me!:mug:

You can do wine in mason jars though. I did some in mason jars since I #1 ran out of wine bottles, and #2 wanted to give it a bit of the old time still feel :)

don't forget that in a pinch you can use soda bottles, but keep them out of the light since they are clear. They aren't nearly as "fancy" as a nicely labeled homebrew in a brown beer bottle with cap, but they work just fine.

+1 on pop bottles. I have a bunch on hand just in case, but then I've also got a large number of beer bottles on hand now too. Around here they are practically free and easy to get.

Well it ends up its still setting in the fermenter. Got called out of town on an emergency construction gig and did not get to fill the bottles b4 leaving. I believe the beer will be alright in the fermenter, it is holding steady at 70 deg. I make sure the wife checks on the redneck fermentation chamber every evening. (The window unit in my Mancave with 2 pieces of plywood incapsulating my fermenter while set in auto at 70 deg), she said it kicks on about every 6-10 minutes. Electric company is gonna love me! Any input?

Get a tub of water, put your fermenter in it. Then freeze a few 2 liter soda bottles and put one in at a time, rotating when they thaw. (or twice a day)

i wish I couls Ben but I am 300 miles away from the precious nectar which is residing in my mancave as we speak. Tryed to score a self contained lobster tank last night, the chill water system on it can keep the water circulating at a cool 33 deg. No dice though the owner is going to sell it at a restraunt supply store.

Back