How much color difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for Crystal 10L, but my LHBS carries only 20L. Will that make much of a difference in color or flavor, or should I just relax, etc?

Just looked it up in the wiki...i suggest you go there to read up on everything. This is what the differances are...
10L

This light Crystal malt will lend body and mouth feel with a minimum of color, but with a light caramel sweetness.
20L

This Crystal malt will provide a golden color and a sweet, mild caramel flavor.

I have no experience to tell you specifics, but it looks like they would be very subtle.

Loop

I often substitute crystal grain +/- 10L from the original recipe's ingredients. You're likely only using 1/2 lb per 5 gallons, and the difference will be fairly minimal in such proportions.

Since it is just there for color and flavor, you could cut it 25% or even half, but it really won't make much of a difference.

Thanks, that's helpful. I liked the video - I should try the tea experiment with all my leftovers to get a better idea of what each adds.

Back