How much cold-brewed coffee for 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsix

Reaction score
I am planning a 1.055ish oatmeal stout, and I want to add coffee - enough that it is noticeable, but not so much that it doesn't integrate well with the other flavors. A balanced amount of coffee flavor.

I've looked through dozens of threads and saw no conclusive recommendation for how much cold-brewed coffee to add to 5 gallons for a balanced coffee flavor.

Thanks.

Try cold brewing 4 ozs of coffee in 2 cups of water.
Add to taste at brewing/kegging time.
Go a little strong, it will mellow some.

I just did a Java Porter and used a little over half pound, was too much coffee flavor for me and most who tried. The next one I brew I will start with 1/4 lb to see what happens.

I split a 5gal batch of 1.052 oatmeal stout last year and added cold brewed coffee to roughly half of it at bottling. Turned out to be pretty well balanced, and added a lot to the beer. I used about 2oz for half the batch, so 4oz of coarse ground coffee should be a great starting point.

I've brewed my coffee stout 5 times. First with regular brewed coffee, then cold steeped, then 2oz, 4oz, and 6oz of grounds directly to the secondary. i prefer the 4oz of course grounds directly added to secondary for 7 days. Really is a personal taste thing.

5% strong cold brew is a good starting place. What you should really do is make extra cold brew, pull a sample of fermented beer, and add a measured amount of coffee to the sample. Use that ratio when you add coffee to the full batch. That way you can figure out how much coffee to add according to your own taste.

When I add coffee, I normally add 2 oz grounds at end of the boil, and 2 oz grounds in secondary. The flavor is a bit to strong early, but if used in a beer that will be around a while, it really mellows after a month in the keg.

I cold brewed 1lb of Peets coffee using a coffee toddy maker. Do not brew the coffee through a coffee maker. The coffee was noticeable but blended well with the 8oz of Cocoa Nibs that were added to the secondary.

I like to pitch about 4oz right in to the fermenter for 2 days. It will depend on the IBU and ABV of your beer and everyone likes something a little different.

I am planning a 1.055ish oatmeal stout, and I want to add coffee - enough that it is noticeable, but not so much that it doesn't integrate well with the other flavors. A balanced amount of coffee flavor.

I've looked through dozens of threads and saw no conclusive recommendation for how much cold-brewed coffee to add to 5 gallons for a balanced coffee flavor.

Thanks.

I used 16oz of starbucks cold brew and it was perfect. I did the math and that was about the amount of coffee the recipe called for. More for more, less for less coffee flavor. It will mellow over time. I would add cold brew to keg. If you add grinds to the secondary, 2 days would be maximum imo. No need for beer to sit on grinds longer than that. My book confirms 3 ounces of coffee to 2 cups of water which is 16 oz.

Back