How much coffee beans for a coffee porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
I brewed my porter recipe again, I wanted to make it a coffee porter. Just dont know how many lbs of beans to add to it. or when to add them. should I grind them? Here is my recipe. 5.5 gallon into fermenter. This is a good porter by its self, just wanted to add some coffee to it this time.

9# 8 oz pale ale malt
12 oz c-80
12 oz flaked barley
8 oz special b
8 oz chocolate malt
4 oz roast barley
3 oz black pattent

,5 oz centennial @ 60
,5 oz ekg @12
.5 oz ekg @ 5

mash @ 155 for 60 min

chico yeast

ferment @ 65

You can also smash them in a mortar and pestle then cold brew them in Vodka for about 5 hours. 2 ounces is about right.

I usually go with about 6 oz of coarse ground coffee cold-brewed for 48 hours in 32 oz water and add to beer at packaging.

You can also add grounds to the mash but you have to strain before you go into the boil kettle if you Google you can't find it on the Internet

I add the bagged course-ground beans to the secondary for a week or two. I've done the cold brew method as well, but adding beans to the secondary is method I prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Great timing on this post, OP. I was just kicking around the idea of doing this very same thing. Thanks for all the great info, everyone!

Nat... when you add them to the secondary, how does the aroma / flavor hold up over the life of your beer? Is coffee something that seems to drop off rather quickly?

I also throw the beans directly into secondary for about a week. 12 oz french press grind. It will add bitterness this way. I recommend 1 vanilla bean to combat it.

Either way works well but, I get more aroma and it lasts longer than cold steeping. The head will suffer but, not as much as everyone seems to think.

Great timing on this post, OP. I was just kicking around the idea of doing this very same thing. Thanks for all the great info, everyone!

Nat... when you add them to the secondary, how does the aroma / flavor hold up over the life of your beer? Is coffee something that seems to drop off rather quickly?

It's pretty aromatic and flavorful right off the bat. I've noticed that the coffee subsides a bit with age, but it def stays with the beer. I had a java stout about 6 months post brew and it was more mellow, but you could still pick up on the coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

... and I was told that the coffee taste is from combination of grains and yeast.
An now I read, you guys fake it with real coffee. ;)

I researched doing a coffee porter last year and after reading about and tasting several examples, I decided to go with the espresso shot method. I now brew a double shot (2 oz) of espresso per gallon of beer. I toss it right into the serving keg. The result is a very nice smooth coffee character that does not overwhelm the porter.

... and I was told that the coffee taste is from combination of grains and yeast.
An now I read, you guys fake it with real coffee. ;)

Not really faking it. I think Drew Carey did this on his show and called it "Buzz Beer".

I DECIDED TO ADD 6 OZS of whole beans to the primary. No grinding. It worked out really well. been in the bottle for 3 weeks. had one today. nice aroma and flavor. A bit strong right now, but I think it will mellow with age. I planned on aging it for 6 months.

Back