How much carrageenan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
Brew day today, but my LHBS was out of whirlfloc and irish moss - they only had carrageenan. The instructions on the packet say to use as per your recipe. Not very helpful. I can't find info anywhere telling me how much to use. Has anyone used it or know how much is equivalent to a whirlfloc? Beer is 74L (close to 20 gallons) at 1.043.
1614975677351.png

I have some Super Moss and the directions are probably the same. Here it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20210305_204637777.jpg
    PXL_20210305_204637777.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
I thought that carrageenan was Irish moss, just a different name.

My packet says Brewers Carrageenan 0.48 to 0.72 grammes per 24 litres.

Add direct to boil about 15 minutes before end of boil.

I thought that carrageenan was Irish moss, just a different name.

My packet says Brewers Carrageenan 0.48 to 0.72 grammes per 24 litres.

Add direct to boil about 15 minutes before end of boil.

Thanks - that helps. I think it's basically the same chemical doing the work, but in a different form which means the teaspoon measurements normally given for irish moss don't apply. I'll go with 2 grams.

I have some Super Moss and the directions are probably the same. Here it is.

I prefer to work with mass (weight) because of density differences between brands/varities. If we assume that a teaspoon of that moss weighs half of what water would, that's 2.5g for 20 gallon which is in the ballpark of the above. Seeing as it says use less rather than more, I'll go with 2g.

I think Carrageenan is derrived from Irish Moss, but it's not the same thing. Irish Moss is the raw material (sea-weed if I remember). Think like Raw Sugar vs. Molassas. Whirlfloc is Irish Moss + Carrageenan.

Super Moss is powdered Carrageenan, so if that is what you are using numbers should be similar.

Last edited:
Having just seen the effect of Polyclar Brewbrite Hot break
I'm going to try and get some of this. Really looks good.

Just finished the batch with carrageenan and I'm really impressed. The hot break was really gooey and thick and easy to separate. Only one batch, but early signs are impressive. I'm wondering if I've been overdoing the whirlfloc which sounds like it might actually cause problems. I might end up sticking with carrageenan granules.

Back