How much carbonation can a beer bottle take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKershner

Reaction score
I have been thinking about carbonating up some sparkling wine, and was thinking of using beer bottles just for ease since I have a whole bunch.

Champagne is typically in the 6 units of carbonation area...was wondering if a beer bottle can take that kind of pressure?

I would probably be kegging it and force carbing in a freezer at around 30psi (since cornies are only rated for 30psi, I was just going to make it colder)

I have been searching the interwebs for awhile, and havent been able to source how much carbonation a standard long neck or a bomber beer bottle are rated for.

Standard bottles won't handle 6. I'd say 3.5 tops. 4+ should be belgian or champagne style bottles. Bomber bottles can do more than regular, but not 6.

I would probably be kegging it and force carbing in a freezer at around 30psi (since cornies are only rated for 30psi, I was just going to make it colder)

Cornies are good to 130 PSI not 30 PSI.

Actually... this is a very good question. I was able to start down the road of counter pressure bottling myself. I am interested in knowing if you should keep releasing pressure on the keg until it equalizes at your chosen pressure... but it has got to be hard to do so with the regulator going all the way up to the 60's.

I know that bottles are good for about 3.5 as the previous poster pointed out.

Cornies are good to 130 PSI not 30 PSI.

Mine must be dirty where the 1 is, ill check some others. :D

Counter pressure bottle filling is easier than you are making it out to be. Carb at chosen pressure (or do your normal quick force carb if that works for you). Take ALL the pressure out of the keg, re apply a low psi (3-5) then start filling your your instrument of choice.

Bottle filling advice and in depth step-by-steps are available by searching 'Biermuncher Bottle Filler' on this forum or on Google.

Back