How much can I mash in my MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell0347

Reaction score
I recently constructed a mini MLT out of a 3 gallon cube cooler and made a 1/2" cpvc manifold. How much can I mash in this you think? I want to do a porter PM recipe soon and I would like to include about 3 pounds or so of base grains in with my specialty grains to help acquaint myself with AG. Was just wondering the maxium amount I could mash in there with good results.

Well I know you can get all that in there. As for how much, total? I would guess (Just a guess) 10# of grain total w/ strike water.

Did I mention I was just guessing?:D

You'll get differing opinions, plus it's all based on how thick or thin you desire your mash to be, and different coolers will hold different quantities (head space is diff. in diff. models).

The general consensus is that 12.5 lbs is close to the maximum in a 5 gal. cooler. Meaning you can get 2.5 gallons per gallon meaning 3 gallons = 7.5 lbs of grist in a 3 gal. cooler.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps I suggest to everyone interested in AG brewing that they PM brew a few batches to begin with. It made the transition to AG almost seemless for me. Provides the brewer with a real working knowledge of the process before jumping in, kind of like a test kitchen scenario! Good luck!

I recently constructed a mini MLT out of a 3 gallon cube cooler and made a 1/2" cpvc manifold.

3 gallons = 12 quarts
If you want a mash thickness of 1.25 quarts/lb, you can only do about 8 pounds of grain. That only allows for a single infusion at one rest temp (150-158), which works for most grains (eg highly modified). That size doesn't give any flexibility for high gravity beers, less modified malts requiring multiple rests (pilsner), or batches larger than 5 gallons.

I bought my 48 quart cooler for about $25.

Thanks for the great answers guys. It seems to be the consensus that about 7-8lbs. would be the maximum. I plan on buying a bulk supply of Extra Light DME and just using this to tinker around with recipes. Once I get the process down and screw it up a few times and hopefully learn from my mistakes I will make the transition to AG. My last batch was an Irish Ale that was a PM and if the taste of it going in to the bottle is any indication of the taste when it comes out, it is already WAY better than my previous all extracts.

Back