How much buckwheat honey is too much?(Raspberry melomel recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruinarion

Reaction score
I had a sample of a raspberry melomel recipe last summer from somebody that I no longer have contact with. They provided the following recipe.

12 lbs clover or wildflower honey
6 lbs buckwheat honey
6 lbs raspberry puree
16 cups of orange juice
2 - 3 Tbsp earl grey tea
2 Packets EC-1118 yeast

Mix with enough water so the total volume is 5.5 gallons. The OG should be around 1.130. The half gallon is there to make up for losses when racking off the fruit. It should make a little more than 5 gallons leaving very little head space in 5 1 gallon jugs for aging.

I really liked the sample and my fermenters will be empty so I ordered the ingredients. I received the buckwheat honey today and this stuff has a strong flavor. It also has a very strong odor that is hard to describe. I am worried that using this much buckwheat will make some off flavors. Does this seem like too much to you guys as well?

I don't think I'd use more than 25% buckwheat. But honestly I'd not use any buckwheat honey in a rasberry melomel.

Buckwheat honey is hearty and earthy and bold, not a combination I'd want to pair with rasberry.

I've read the same thing on here a few different times. Buckwheat is a pretty strong honey and most people shy away from using much. I'm planning on making a 50/50 Buckwheat and Clover Traditional soon, that is just honey with no extra fruits or spices. But I've never used it before so I really can't comment on how much is too much.

I've also read about there being a strong difference in the flavor of eastern buckwheat honey compared to western buckwheat honey, from what I understand the western variation is preferred. I'm not sure if that refers to east and west US or somewhere else, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

Well I tried a little taste again when I got home from work. It just seems like it is going to overpower the raspberries. Also I think Halbrust may have hit it on the head the smell doesn't seem to go with raspberry. I think this time I will just use wildflower honey.

I think the buckwheat could make a good mead but I am going to have to try it by itself to get an idea of the taste.

I've also read about there being a strong difference in the flavor of eastern buckwheat honey compared to western buckwheat honey, from what I understand the western variation is preferred. I'm not sure if that refers to east and west US or somewhere else, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

Happy to enlighten.

Eastern Buckwheat honey, or Buckwheat honey, is common in the Old World (Asia, Europe) and New (North America) as it comes from the the blossoms of the widely cultivated annual grain Buckwheat, Fagopyrum sp. (of Buckwheat pancake fame). It is among the darkest of honeys, high in nutrients (for honey), very strongly flavored and (to my palate) possesses flavors/aromas of malt, molasses, hay, barnyard and funk. I'd say its flavor profile is earthy, a bit wild and angular, and unmistakable. People mostly love it or hate it. To my palate, I typically find it off-putting when used in quantity in meads (but a necessity in gingerbread/ginger snaps).

Western Buckwheat honey comes from a group of perennial wildflowers of the western USA (including, but not limited to, CA, CO, AZ, NM, UT). As far as I know commercial quantities of this varietal are only produced in the Mojave in CA. These so-called Wild Buckwheats, Eriogonum sp., provide great forage for bees in areas where the plants are abundant. The honey is typically dark and the flavor is just as bold. However, it is very distinct from "Eastern" Buckwheat in that is has a much more rounded profile, sweet/tart and full of powerful dark, rich, caramelly, toffee, coffee, perhaps a slight smokiness, but none of the funk or off-putting aromas/flavors. In my opinion it is more appealing to a wider audience and I use it much more frequently in meads, including show meads, in blends, braggots, metheglins, even melomels (think bold, dark fruit - elderberries, black currants, cab sauvignon/petite verdot grapes), and it begs for oak. I use it liberally and often, along with my other favorite dark honey, Avocado (which I find to have a rich molasses-y, buttery, strong but soft character). YMMV.

Cheers!

Back