How much Brown Sugar for thiis cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
I am going to use my Mr. Beer keg to make a small batch of cider. I already have upgraded and got a 6.5 glass carboy, but its got a porter fermenting in it right now so I would like to make some use of my Mr. Beer keg.

I am going to use brown sugar since I wasnt able to go to the HB store to get corn sugar.

2 Gallons of Juice...............so how many cups of sugar ?

Personally I'd go easy on brown sugar. It's not like corn sugar which can be added to simply boost ABV. The molasses in brown sugar add extra flavour which can easily overpower the taste of the cider.

as much or as little as you want. I used 1 lb in a 3 gallon batch to bring the SG up to 1.06 and it's gal dern tasty; when it comes down to it, you don't actually need any. The more you add the more alcohol their will be...

Will there be krausen at all at the top of my mr.beer?

I pitched the yeast and didnt make a starter, most of the yeast sunk to the bottom of the fermenter. As many of you know you cant really see through the mr.beer keg , so I cant really tell how cloudy it is like you could with a carboy.

I have more yeast, should I make a starter and re pitch?

Back