how much bottling sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geosomin

Reaction score
Last weekend, as stress relief while finishing up my thesis, I started up 5 gallons of IPA from a kit. Easy peasy. I plan on bottling in a week or so to give it about 3 weeks of fermentation.
Thing is, I just realized I forgot to keep the kit insert so I am unsure of how much corn sugar to add prior to bottling.:confused: I *think* it said 2/3 of a cup but I don't want a basement of exploding beer bottles.
I use the 500mL plastic bottles. I prefer boiling the sugar water and adding it to the racked beer prior to bottling. I am wondering if I don't know the appropriate amount of sugar to add, does 2/3 of a cup sound reasonable? It's been a while, so I'm not sure if this would be appropriate.
I feel quite silly over this and don't want to waste this beer. Any advice on how much bottling sugar to use?

Usually, if it is truly corn sugar, it will be 3/4 cup for a 5 gal batch on average. This is assuming you are fermenting at typical ale temps (above 60F). If it's table sugar, then 2/3 cup would be appropriate. If you are using DME, it's usually 1.25 cups. These are all just averages, which is usually what a kit will recommend for an ale. If you are measuring by weight, the average is typically 1oz of corn sugar per gallon you are bottling (so 5oz for a 5 gal batch).

Back